Removing leaves and dust from the gutters with a power washer is an effective way to keep your home’s exterior in good condition. When gutters are clogged with leaves and other debris, it is more difficult for water to drain away from the house and downspouts. This can lead to damage to your home’s siding, windows, doors and foundation.
Gutters should be cleaned at least once a year and more often if there are a lot of trees nearby. This is especially important if you live in an area where it is common for rain to fall in heavy amounts, as this can cause a buildup of dirt and debris which can overflow the gutters and eventually damage your home’s siding or foundation.
1. Safety First – Always use a ladder when cleaning the gutters.
The last thing you want is to slip or trip over debris while on the roof of your home, so it is always a good idea to make sure that you are comfortable with using a ladder and that it is securely attached to a sturdy base before you start climbing it. It’s also a good idea to wear safety glasses and rubber gloves.
2. Identify Your Problems – There are several methods for removing debris from your gutters, including vacuuming them with an attachment to your shop-vac, a wet/dry wand, or a gutter scoop. The best method for you will depend on the amount of debris, whether it is stuck to the gutter or only loose clumps, and how easy it is to access the gutter.
3. The Wet/Dry Vacuum – One of the easiest ways to clean gutters is to use a wet/dry vacuum with an extension kit or hose. These are typically long and have a bent end that allows you to reach into the gutter while standing firmly on the ground. This is a good option if you only have light issues like dust, pine needles, and small leaves.
4. A Telescoping Extension Wand – Lastly, a telescoping gutter wand can make the job a breeze. These are generally longer than standard hoses, making them easier to reach in taller areas of your house.
5. Apply a Detergent – Once you have gotten rid of the loose debris, it is time to get the grime and stains off your gutters. This will help to bring out the shine and keep them looking their best.
6. Ensure a Clean Pathway for Moving around your Gutter – This is the most important step, as it will protect you from falling debris while you are cleaning your gutters. Place all toys, plant pots and other items that could be damaged by falling debris in a different part of the yard.
7. Pressure Wash The Gutters – This is a great way to remove the grime and stains on your gutters, but it’s important that you don’t use too much pressure. Over-pressure will only make the problem worse, and it can even damage the shingles of your home’s roof.
Removing clogs from your gutter is not an easy task and requires special attention to detail. It is best to contact a professional Rockville, MD power washing services to do the job for you as they are experienced with this type of work and have the tools required for this task.